Sunday, January 3, 2010

Book Review:Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert


This is one of those books that sat on my shelf for a year before I decided to read. It seemed like a good on the cusp of one year ending and a new one begininng read. If you don't know, it's about a woman that spends a year looking for balance in her life after a heartwrenching nasty divorce quickly followed by a horrid break up by traveling to Italy (pleasure), India (devotion), and Bali (balance).


Perhaps I'm cynical but I would think that anyone that got the privilege of traveling for one year, spending 4months in each of these places solo, would change greatly and because that possibility isn't remotely plausible for myself I just cannot relate. I'm also not one of those people that is tormented by my purpose here or my life's meaning like I've noticed others can be. In fact, I'm fairly content. Or maybe I'm just not that deep.


What I actually enjoyed most out the book was learning more about the various places she visited. I found the chapter on India very interesting, I didn't know much about meditation, Guru's, or Ashrams. Italy and Bali were interesting because it shed light more from being a local then a tourist. I enjoyed the book enough to go online after to find some follow ups on people from the book. Overall I did like the book and would recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment