Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Book Review:Half Broken Horses by Jeannette Walls


Jeannette Walls wrote The Glass Castle, a wildy popular and highly recommended book I thought was okay. It's on my list to reread, but I am thinking I just didn't get into it enough at the time for whatever reason.

Half Broken Horses is her second novel. It is based on the true life of the author's grandma and narrated from her view as pieced together by the author. The book was originally intended to be an biography that shaped into this. It is about Lily, a woman born in 1901 in the southwest. Lily is everything but conventional and I really enjoyed that. I often wonder what I would of stood up for if I was around in another time, when it wasn't so easy to take a stand. She does lead quite the life and while I found the book interesting and easy to read, I never really felt engrossed or overly attached to the character. It was interesting, that about sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment