Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Book Review - Unwind by Neal Shusterman



I can't really explain it better then this summary from Amazon:
Set in the future, the second civil war is fought over abortion. To end the war, a compromise is reached that ends the practice of abortion but creates an alternative called "unwinding." Between the ages of 13 and 17, parents or guardians can choose to have their children unwound, which involves having every part of their bodies harvested to be "donated" to another person so, technically, they don't really die.


The story focuses on 3 teens who have all found themselves to be chosen to be unwound, through 3 different life circumstances. The book definitely reads like a teen novel, which turned me off a bit. Probably because of just coming off of reading another young adult book. I don't even typically read young adult, so 2 in a row was a bit much. The book is good and an easy read. The ending I thought was really great and took an average read to a fairly good one because of it. I thought the premise was creative and a bit thought provoking. If anything I wish the same idea could be done, but in a more adult storyline. Overall I do recommend the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment