Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Book Review - A Ship Made of Paper by Scott Spencer



This is the first book I've read by this author and I thought it was really good! I will definitely be keeping my eyes out for more titles by him.

A Ship Made of Paper is about two people having an affair and the wreckage they leave around them. Thrown into the mix is the fact that the man is white and the woman black. The man is not married but has been the only father his girlfriend's child knows and he adores her. I didn't have much sympathy for the male character, David, at all. I had trouble reconciling how he could risk so much and it made me sad. I was perhaps more sympathetic to the female, Iris, because her husband is rather douchy. Kind of interesting I would feel that way and perhaps not fair. The novel touches not only on cheating but racial issues as well. The last 10pages were very intense, I couldn't read them fast enough, and then the very last page I was just like, huh. The characters truly are consumed with each other at any cost. I do recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment