Sunday, February 14, 2010

44/365


Book Review:The Sum of Our Days by Isabel Allende

If you are a fan of author Isabel Allende, then I think you would really enjoy this book. It's an intimate look into her life in the wake of her adult daughter's death and the family/"tribe" that the author surrounds herself with. I'm not sure how I personally came along to have this book on my shelf since while I have heard of many of her books, I haven't read a one. For that reason, the book was lacking for me a bit. It did cause me to be interested in some of her other novels such as The House of Spirits or Paula, so I do look forward to reading those one day. It wasn't a bad read and her family and herself are both interesting and charming, it just wasn't a memoir that I choose to read out of interest in her. I'm really wondering how I even came across this.

She does have some great quotes:
"Life is nothing but noise between two unfathomable silences"

"The really important events in my life happened inspite of me. I had no control over them"

"Asked how she begins a book, she replies, 'With a first sentence that comes from the womb, not the mind'"

No comments:

Post a Comment