Tuesday, April 13, 2010

103/365


Book Review:The Help

Ask most any avid reader for a book recommendation right now and they're bound to say this book. After reading it, I can see why. It's an interesting subject with an even more interesting perspective. Regardless of how many pages they have in the book, each character is well developed and interesting. While the ending is satisfying, you'd definitely be happy getting a little more, or a lot more for that matter. The book is thought provoking for fiction and really left me wondering where I would of stood, what I would of done, if I was in Miss. during these times. I know what I like to think, but I'm not foolish enough to think it'd be that clear cut and easy.

The book itself is set in 1962 Mississippi, during the heart of Martin Luther King Jr. and racial issues coming to surface. It focuses on black maids and the white women they work for primarily. I am embarrassed to say that I never took a look to realize how this is really was not that long ago and some of it was so shocking to me. Some of it made me understand my Grandparents/elders "ways" a bit more (not agree with them though). It touches on so many different stories and characters perspectives, it's a great well rounded book that is of course once again going to be recommended by me to anyone that asks for a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment