Saturday, January 15, 2011

Book Review - In The Sanctuary of Outcasts by Neil White


This book is a memoir about a place called Carville, La that not only hosted criminals but leprosy residents. The author was imprisoned for a year for check kiting. He talks about himself quite a bit, which I guess is typical for a memoir, lol, but the parts I really enjoyed were what he learned from the other people, both the sick and the prisoners. This is the second book I've read about leprosy and how it was handled and it really is so sad and quite tradgic. I think I picture these kids of things happening elsewhere, not right here in the U.S.. The book was okay good, I wasn't excited to read it everyday and the author was way to windy at times, but if might be worth grabbing if you come across it for free or close to it. Perhaps if it was the first book I had read on such a subject, I would have been more impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment