Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Book Review - Honolulu by Alan Brennert



This is the second book I've read by Alan Brennet. The first you can find under my 2010 books read.

Honolulu is about picture brides that come from Korea to Hawaii in the early 20th century. It tracks the main characters life from a young girl in Korea to where her path takes her into adulthood along with 3 other picture pride "friends" of the main character. I found it a really interesting piece of historical fiction and it really touches on the tormoil of that time in regards to race relations as well the oppurtunities afforded a woman and what is expected of her in a Korean culture versus one in America. The message I think this book ultimately conveys is that our country truly is the land of oppurtunity, but one has to want and take that, and work for it. It's a lenthier book that with the exception of 50pages or so read rather quick for me. I thought it was really good and would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment