Saturday, July 16, 2011

Book Review:Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson


Wintergirls - "You're not dead, but you're not alive, either. You're a wintergirl, Lia, caught in between the worlds. You're a ghost with a beating heart." So says Lia's dead best friend, Cassie. Lia is haunted by her death and dives deeper into cutting and anorexia. Both Lia and Cassie promised to be the skinney girls and Cassie ultimately paid for it with her life. Wintergirls puts us into the mind of Lia and her sickness.

Anorexia is something I can never relate too, being the fat food loving girl that I am. I can shamely admit I am almost jealous of that mind set, but that is said without a deep understand of just how sick and twisted that mind can actually be. Then there is bulimia, something more appealing to me, or at least I can understand better. Maybe it's good I could never make myself throw up. The book really did a great job of giving me a better understanding of an eating disorder disease and just how hard it is for those that suffer, just how messed up their mind is. Then their poor loved ones who might lose their sister/daughter/friend simply because they won't eat! I can only imagine the frustration.

Wintergirls is a quick read. I grabbed it at the library and while I'm glad I didn't pay any money out of pocket for it, I am glad I read it. It was enlightening and drew me in enough to care about the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment